Tegan and Sara
From WikiMusicGuide, the free music guide. Your music wiki.
The Canadian duo Tegan and Sara has been hitting the music scene hard, with their songs appearing on television programs, attracting fans.
Tegan Rain Quin and Sara Keirsten Quin are identical twins born on September 19, 1980 in Canada. They are better known as Tegan and Sara. During their adolescent years, they won Garage Warz, a local music competition in Calgary, Alberta. They have had tours in the past with Rufus Wainwright, Ryan Adams, Ben Folds, The Pretenders, Neil Young, and Sarah McLachlan's Lilith Fair. At present, the are signed under Neil Young's Vapor Records in the US and under Universal Music Group in Canada.
Under Feet Like Ours, their first album, was released under the name Sara and Tegan in 1999, but was re-released in 2001 under Tegan and Sara. This Business of Art followed shortly after, then came If It Was You.
"Where Does the Good Go" is included in the Grey's Anatomy Original Soundtrack which was released on September 2005. Other songs by the twins which appeared on the show were "Living Room", "Not Tonight", "Take Me Anywhere", "Fix You Up", "You Wouldn't Like Me", "I Won't Be Left", and "Downtown".
Their latest album, So Jealous, includes the song "Walking With a Ghost", another hit from the duo which was actually featured on an episode on One Tree Hill and on the NBC commercial for the TV series Medium. Part of the things that fans like about Tegan and Sara is their incredible humor and sisterly banter when performing on stage. The twins are currently working on their fifth album, which is expected to be out by mid-2007.
Awards & Certifications
|2000||YTV Achievement Award||Band or Musical Group|
|2003||Western Canadian Music Award||Outstanding Pop Recording for “If It Was You”|
Tours & Concerts
There are no tours at the moment as Tegan and Sara are in the process of writing and recording their upcoming album.
Comprehensive list of the recordings made.
|2003||I Hear Noises||Import|
|2003||Monday Monday Monday||Cortex|
Compilations & Live Releases
- So Jealous was named one of the best 50 albums of the year by Rolling Stone magazine in late 2004.
- Matt Sharp of The Rentals played moog synthesizer on their song, "So Jealous".
- Both twins are involved in vocals and instrument playing, but the singing of the lead melody is often done by whichever twin wrote the particular song.
- Early copies of their album Under Feet Like Ours were printed with the old band name, Sara and Tegan, and are now highly sought-after by their fans.
- They were initially known as Sara and Tegan, but they decided to change it to Tegan and Sara, since Tegan is a more unusual name and they wanted to avoid confusion with several other Canadian singers named Sara or Sarah, such as Sarah Harmer and Sarah Slean, who were popular at the time.
- The twins have appeared on Sarah McLachlan's Lilith Fair.
- Both sisters have openly admitted they are lesbians.