From WikiMusicGuide, the free music guide. Your music wiki.
Josh Groban is an artist from Los Angeles California who has been known for his remarkable voice. An artist by heart, allow him to touch your heart and be flattered with his beautiful songs.
Born on February 27, 1981, Joshua Winslow Groban grew up in the town of Los Angeles California with his mother (an art teacher), father (an executive recruiter), and his brother Chris. This tall and curly-haired man has captured the hearts of every person who hears his music, not just in the United States but virtually all over the world.
Music was always a part of his growing years. He had joined his school’s vocal group and had musical training. After the seventh grade he changed schools, placing music aside for years. When he enrolled at the Interlochen Arts Program, he became exposed again to music and theatre. With that, he began to show interests and love for the craft which made his parents decide to send him to Interlochen Arts Camp in Interlochen, Michigan.
It was during his sophomore year that he noticed the unique voice he had. On one occasion his teacher asked him to sing a solo in their school choir. Josh decided to give it a try and on that day, he did an astounding performance and amazed everyone with his voice. To enhance his marvelous talent, he enrolled in voice lessons with the area's most recognized music teacher, Seth Riggs. One day, David Foster asked Seth Riggs for a young man to sing at the inauguration ceremony of Grey Davis, the Governor of California. Seth then sent a demo tape of Josh to David, who was amazed with Josh's voice.
His exceptional performance that day led to his filling in for Andrea Bocelli at the 1999 Grammy rehearsals. During that time, the Italian tenor was unable to attend the practice session due to a flight delay. He was asked by David Foster to rehearse “The Prayer” in a duet with Celine Dion. Though hesitant at first, Josh accepted the offer and made it really great. He then set college aside to pursue his career when Warner records offered him an exclusive recording deal. In 2001, he has also ventured out into acting when he made a guest appearance on the season finale of Ally Mcbeal. He played Malcolm Wyatt, a geeky teen in which he performs the song “You're Still You” in a scene at his character’s prom.
Then in November 2001, Josh Groban’s first album was released with contemporary and classical pieces sung in English, Italian and Spanish. Initially, the album sold well but was far from the smash hit it would turn out to be. However, its sales rose somewhat due his second guest appearance on Ally Mcbeal in December of the same year.
In 2002, Josh and Charlotte Church performed a duet at the closing ceremonies of the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. On the same year, he was also featured as one of the performers on The Concert for World Children’s Day, an ABC television special.
Awards & Certifications
|2002||People Magazine||Sexiest New Comer|
|2004||World Music Awards||Nominated for: World's Best Male Artist|
|AOL Red Members||AOL Red Member’s Award|
|American Music Awards||Nominated for: Favorite Male Artist—Pop or Rock|
|Billboard’s Backstage Pass Touring Award||Nominated for: Top Breakthrough Act|
|Billboard’s Backstage Pass Touring Award||Winner: Top Small Venue Tour|
|People’s Choice Award||Nominated for: Favorite Male Singer|
|2005 MTV Asia’s Award||Nominated for: Favorite Male Singer|
|47th Annual Grammy Award||Nominated for: Best Pop Vocal Performance for “You Raise Me Up”|
|Pollstar Concert Industry Awards||Best new Touring Artist|
|2005||American Society of Young Musicians||Favorite Male Artist|
|Amazon.com Hall of Fame||First Hall of Fame as 15th Highest-Selling Artist|
|Year||Title||Adult Contemporary Single Charts||Album|
|2002||To Where You Are|| ||Josh Groban|
|2002||Oh Holy Night||Josh Groban|
|2004||Believe||Polar Express Soundtrack|
Tours & Concerts
Josh is about to embark on his world tour titled "Awake" after his new album. The tour kicks off Febuary 17, 2007 in Verona, NY and continues untill April 4, 2007 in Las Vegas, NV.
Josh released his newest album "Awake" November 7, 2006
Compilations, Singles and Live Releases
|2003||You Raised Me Up|
|2004||The Polar Express - OST|
|2004||Troy - OST|
- Food: Sushi, Coffee Ice Cream and Rice Krispy Treats
- Color: Black and Dark Blue
- TV Show: Dexter's Laboratory, Monty Python, The Simpsons, Saturday Night Live, Power Puff Girls, South Park, David Letterman, Conan O'Brien
- CDs: GRACELAND by Paul Simon, DEBUT by Bjork
- Movie: Amelie, Braveheart, The Impostors, Monty Python/Holy Grail.
- Guest Appearances: Ally McBeal, Oprah Winfrey, Jay Leno, Larry King Live, The Rosie O'Donnell Show, The Today Show, 20/20, PBS 'Great Performances, Closing of the 2002 Olympics
- He has sung with: Celine Dion, Barbra Streisand, Charlotte Church, Sarah Brightman, The Corrs, Lili Haydn, Rhys Fulber, Lara Fabian and many more
- Los Angeles County High School for the Arts, Theatre, 1999
- Attended Carnegie Mellon University /musical theatre program
- Participated in the Interlochen Summer Arts Camp
DID YOU KNOW THAT…
- Josh went to the prom without a date
- He has an awesome sense of humor
- Josh drinks water, apple juice or tea
- Know how to speak some Japanese
- Wears contacts or glasses
- Removed his tonsils, August 7, 2002
- His celebrity crush is Bjork
- He can play six (6) different instruments
- Josh is preparing for his upcoming AWAKE tour kicking off in Verona, NY. on February 17, 2007.
- Watch out for his appearances on the following shows: Today Show -February 7 and The View - February 8.
- He also released a Hallmark CD for Valentines Day. The album is only available at Hallmark Gold Crown Stores and is titled With You. This exclusive album has two never before heard tracks and is a must-have for a Josh fan. Head over to your local Hallmark Gold Crown store or check http://www.Hallmark.com for more details.