From WikiMusicGuide, the free music guide. Your music wiki.
Jennifer Hudson is a critically acclaimed American actress and singer that was discovered from American Idol and starred in the latest movie Dreamgirls.
Jennifer Kate Hudson, is a 25-year-old singer turned actress who was born in September 12, 1981 and was raised in Chicago, Illinois. Even at her young age, she started to show her singing prowess while she was studying in Dunbar Vocational Career Academy.
During the third season of popular Fox reality talent search American Idol, Hudson auditioned and became a part of the semifinalists. Jennifer Hudson sites Whitney Houston as an influence to her singing career which is proven in her American Idol performances where she sang "I Have Nothing" and "I Believe In You And Me" both originally sung by Houston. Although she struggled to gain a lot of fans in the beginning and ranked the lowest when it comes to online votes; she emerged as one of the crowd favorites as the contest nears its end. She did not win the title though, finishing at seventh place in the competition. She appeared in the season 3 compilation album of American Idol entitled American Idol Season 3: Greatest Soul Classics.
In November of 2005, Hudson lands the role of Effie White in Broadway-turned-movie Dreamgirls. The movie recieved critical acclaims from all over the world; the performances of the cast were highly commended as well. But Hudson did not only capture the hearts of the audiences by singing "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going", her breakthrough performance in the movie screen won for her both an Academy Award and a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role in the said movie. She was also nominated for Best Supporting Actress in the Oscars.
Dreamgirls is indeed the much-needed break by a total performer such as Jennifer Hudson.
Tours & Concerts
Compilations & Live Releases
Released: April 2004
Released: December 2006
Label: Sony Music
- Jennifer Hudson claimed fans all over the world, including American Idol co-finalist, Jasmine Trias and judge Simon Powell.
- She was the third African-American who was featured in the cover of Vogue Magazine in the March 2007 issue.
- News say that she plans to do her debut album in 2007, which she will be having with Arista Records.
- Clive Davis, who handles Arista Records, had driven the career of Whitney Houston herself. Does this mean that Hudson will be the next Whitney Houston?
- Though Jennifer Hudson did not rise instantly to the top, all she needed was a break that can make everyone see her talents. She has that soulful voice that can reach even the high-pitched note, and can add passion to each song she sings. She has proven that she has the talent, but there are still loads of potential inside of her. -Vheliefish 03:13, 10 March 2007 (PST)