From WikiMusicGuide, the free music guide. Your music wiki.
Dave Matthews or David John Matthews was born on January 9, 1967 in Johannesburg, South Africa. When his family moved to Westchester County, New York he learned how to play the piano, at the age of nine years old he already played the guitar. In the 1970's his family moved to Cambridge, England where his father died of lung cancer in 1977. They moved back to South Africa.
As a solo act, Dave Matthews released his solo-debut albuim, Some Devil. He toured along with other fellow musicians and called themselves, Dave Mathews & Friends. He was vocals on the single "Sing Along" for Blue Man Group and appeared on Bela Fleck's second album. He also owns 1,340 acres of farmland in Scottville, Virginia and four acre Blenheim Vineyards.
In 1991, Dave Matthews formed his own band called the Dave Mathews Band. It included Stefan Lessard, Leroi Moore, Boyd Tinsley, and Carter Beauford. The band is a mix of pop version of Paul Simon and Sting. They started touring the country and won the attention of different colleges.
Awards & Certifications
|2003||ASCAP Award||Most Performed Song from a Motion Picture from movie "Mr. Deeds" (2002) for "Where Are You Going"|
|2004||Grammy Award||Best Rock Vocal Performance Male for "Gravedigger"|
|2004||Grammy Award||Best Male Rock Performance "Gravedigger"|
|2003||Some Devil||Certified Platinum in U.S.|
Tours & Concerts
Feb & Mar 2007
- Newcastle City Hall, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
- Scottish Exhibition & Conference Centre Clyde Auditorium, Glasgow Scotland, United Kingdom
- National Stadium, Dublin, Ireland
- Belfast Waterfront Hall Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
- Apollo Manchester, Manchester United Kingdom
- New Theatre, Oxford United Kingdom
- Teatro dal Verme, Milan Italy
- La Cigale, Paris France
- Capitol Offenbach, Germany
- Ancienne Belgique Main Hall, Brussels Belgium
- Paradiso Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Columbiahalle/Columbia Halle/Columbia-Halle, Berlin Germany
- E-Werk Cologne, Germany
September 23, 2003
Compilations & Live Releases
January 19, 1999
- He co-owns ATO Records that represents several groups, including Gov't Mule, Mike Doughty, and Jem.
- His first major success his album, Under the Table and Dreaming was dedicated to his recently murdered sister Anne.
- He and his band performed a free charity concert at Central Park for the benefit of New York public schools.
- He and his band performed at a benefit concert in Denver that raised $1,500,000 for hurricane Katrina victims.
- His sister Anne was murdered by her husband just before he took his own life.