From WikiMusicGuide, the free music guide. Your music wiki.
One-fifth of the famous boy group of the 90's the Backstreet Boys, Brian Littrell is now a solo artist. Concentrating more in his spritual roots, he is now topping the Inspirational charts. He's married to model/actress Leighanne Wallace whom he met the the video shoot of the Backstreet Boys single, As Long As You Love Me. The couple had their first child, son Baylee Thomas Wylee Littrell, on November 26, 2002.
Brian Thomas Littrell was born in Lexington, Kentucy to parents Harold and Jackie Littrell on February 20, 1975. He started singing at a very young age and participated as a choir member with cousin, Kevin Richardson in their Baptist church. Aside from actively participating on church, they also perform in festivals with Boyz II Men style. Brian never planned to become a pop star, instead he want to be a music minister. However, this changed when his cousin, Kevin moved to Orlando, Florida to look for a job in the entertainment industry. He ended up as a tour guide in Disney World. He eventually met the other members of the Backstreet Boys namely, Howie Dorough, AJ McLean and the youngest Nick Carter. They decided to form a group and in 1993, Kevin called up Brian in his senior history class to convince him to be a part of the Backstreet Boys, which Brian agreed.
Backstreet Boys became a worldwide success, having screaming female fans all over the world. Brian wrote some of the material for the band throughout their career. They continued their rise to fame, gaining hits after hits. But in 1998, Brian had to make a tough decision. He has to undergo an open heart surgery to correct his enlarged heart due to the hole which he had since he was a child. He was forced to cancel some of his tours as the doctors advised him.
By the time the group released their greatest hits album, they went on hiatus. During this time, Brian concentrated on charities where he remained active until he founded his own Brian Littrell Healthy Heart Club for Kids. On June 2005, Backstreet Boys reunited and released their Never Gone album which debuted at number 3 in the US chart.
Brian released his solo debut album Welcome Home on May 2, 2006 where the single In Christ Alone ranked number 1 on the Christian Charts. The single was also the winner of 2006 GMA Music Awards for Inspirational Recorded Song of the year. Gospel Music Association (GMA) is dedicated in helping the Christian and Gospel community to gain exposure, promotion and celebration of the gospel music in all styles. His album peaked at number 74 on the Billboard 200 chart while it ranked number 3 in the Christian Charts.
Awards & Certifications
|2006||GMA Music Award||Inspirational Recorded Song of the Year|
|Year||Title||US Christian Charts||Album|
|2006||In Christ Alone||1||Welcome Home|
|2006||Welcome Home||#1||Welcome Home|
Tours & Concerts
No tours to date
May 2, 2006
|2006||In Christ Alone||Reunion/Jive||Welcome Home|
|2006||Welcome Home||Reunion/Jive||Welcome Home|
Compilations & Live Releases
- Cousin of Kevin Scott Richardson of the Backstreet Boys. Kevin's mother Ann is the younger sister of Brian's father Harold.
- Their album (Millennium) broke the record for most sales in the first week - previously held by Garth Brooks - by selling over 1 million copies in the USA alone.
- Kevin called Brian up in his senior history class and he asked him to join the Backstreet Boys in 1993 at the age of 18.
- Welcomed first child son Baylee Thomas Wylee Littrell on November 26 2002.
- He had an open heart surgery in 1998 to correct a sepital heart defect. The defect was located in the lower left and right pumping chambers of his heart. His then fiancee Leighanne refused to marry him unless he underwent the surgery.
- Met his wife Leighanne Littrell on the set of Backstreet Boys music video As Long As You Love Me on 15 June 1997. She played a girl named Donna in the video.
- His ex-girlfriend Samantha Stonebraker wrote a book called Backstreet Secrets Only A Girlfriend Can Tell.
- His older brother, Harold Littrell is an actor.
- In 2000, he won the Teen People's 25 Hottest People Under 25, tying with Justin Timberlake.